z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Strengthening lower abs | MaeveMadden

Strengthening lower abs

• I love all the core workouts at the end of each day.  I feel like I'm getting stronger and can do all the moves without any modifications EXCEPT the lying double leg lifts.  My back raises so I need to switch to just one leg at a time.  Why is this move so hard for me?!  I would like to blame it on having babies, but my youngest is 10 so I don't think I can use that excuse anymore 😂  I can do all the other lower ab moves without too much trouble but this one gets me every time.  Any suggestions?

• @April Holt my back arches SO MUCH when trying to do those too like I can only move my legs down the TINIEST bit (and I haven't had any babies 😂). I just put it down to being a hard exercise so I'm really trying to just build up my strength and try the double leg lifts the odd time but just stop as soon as my back starts to lift. It's difficult to settle for the easier version sometimes but I guess sometimes we just have to on particular exercises to try and build the strength up! Just keep going queen and hopefully we'll get there eventually x

• @April Holt and@Niamh Byrne I am the same!! I always do the single legs. It's the only abs exercise I have an issue with, I can only move them down a little before my back arches. I would love to know how to get better at it! I do try adding one or two double legs in each set, so maybe with time it will get easier.

• @April Holt I was the same for ages until I got the technique right. I was instructed to keep my tummy tight /squeezed in and to only drop ur legs to the point where u feel ur back is about to arch. Do not go any further & very soon u will find ur building ur core strength so much that ull b able to drop ur legs further. And because I have back probs I was told to place my hands at the base of my spine with th palms faced down with thumbs touching each other & forefingers touching also forming a diamond shape. This helps protect ur back. Hope this helps. 

• @Sarah Williams see my msg to @April Holt 👑👑👑

• @Niamh Byrne see my msg to @April Holt 👑 👑 👑 

• Oh my god girls I am exactly the same!!!! We will all be better at some and other harder but that makes us all unique.  As audrey said, we are getting stronger each day/wk.... hard exercises may become easier with time.  But really today was on another level for me..... my legs were shaking for all of justin which has NEVER happened b4.  I started beating myself up instantly and then pulled myself together.... I was away with kids for thr wkend and nearly emptied d entire tank in the car from all the driving and woke up this morning to my period.  So no I'm not gonna be negative to myself..... we all show up each day to do our very best and we are smashing it. Some days are hard but I feel so much better to have done it now.  Queen power all d way ladies!! 👑👑👑👑

• @Audrey Browne Lifesaver Audrey will try this next time thank you 👍😊 x

• Is sweaty 7s on today

• @April Holt

Ok ladies so when your lowering the legs to the ground its tempting to arch the back. This is less effective and can actually also lead to sciatic pain. When your legs are straight up in the air, focus on compressing your lower back down into the floor. As you begin to lower your legs, don’t let your lower back arch or come off the floor at all, this is way more effective at working your transverse abdominis.

TIPS: Keep your legs as straight as possible, and lift them until they are pointing at the ceiling, or as near as you can get. Make sure your toes are pointed. One way to make the leg raise easier is to bend your knees during the movement, but another less taxing variation is to lift one leg at a time.