z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Back pain | MaeveMadden

Back pain

• Hey queens just wondering is anyone dealing with back pain!? I hav to say the last few weeks I've been in awful pain even emptying the dishwasher is painful an now I'm finding I have to skip the abs part of the workout. Has anyone any tips or tricks to ease that kind of pain? I was seeing a chiropractor before lockdown but I think it made it worse. Has anyone any experience with osteopathy or chiropractic? Xxx

• Hi Niamh, I did actually suffered from back pains quite a lot in the past and it turned out to be 2 slipped discs in my lower back. Apparently this is really common and in most cases there is not much they will do. I'm no doctor, but just sharing my experience. I got referred to a pain clinic and amongst other things the physio there just told me to get movement back as I had completely stopped exercising. I started with yoga and afterwards did low impact work outs on youtube until I started Maeve in April/May this year and I hardly have any pains now. I would definitely recommend to take it easy as it may have to do with wrong posture in some work outs or over compensating and speak to a GP/physiotherapist to get medical advise. 

Sorry perhaps not the most helpful, but I do hope the pain will ease for you soon! xx

• @Annique Dijkstra thanks so much I really appreciate your reply ... I've always had slight pain in my back and I've been doing maeves workouts since April too and never had a problem before, I always found it hard to get through the abs with the pain even before this. I'm gonna ring my doctor tomorrow. Can you still go about as normal with slipped discs !? I was thinking to try the prana mat too x

• @Niamh Roche yes thankfully! They told me it's very common and that sometimes it just hits a nerve which causes pain. In extreme cases they'll need to operate if you indeed can't move, but mine was pushing against a nerve but has seemed to corrected itself as I'm mostly pain free now! 
    I have been eyeing up a prana mat as well, but not sure as it looks painful too lol

• Oh bless you Queen, it's so debilitating!!! Good idea to skip Abs for the mo, when you're feeling better you could always try and do the beginners bit to really encourage core muscles to support the back. Try and ensure tummy button sucked in and up during the entire workout, it'll mean your abs are engaged and will be giving your back a rest / the support it needs. I'm constantly reminding myself, it's soo hard!!! 
    May need some rest and a hot water bottle ? Take care Queen xxx

• @Niamh Roche Oh I'm so sorry to hear that, sounds so painful so definitely best to get it looked into. The back is such a tricky area. You can get heat patches with charcoal in them from the chemist that I find quite soothing, diclac gel is an anti-inflammatory gel to rub in, Epsom salt baths, difene be a strong pain reliever with anti-inflammatory too (but can be hard on the stomach), but obviously all dependent on what the doc thinks. You could always try ring a physio and discuss with them briefly and get their opinon? 

• @Niamh Roche hiya Queen, so, sorry ur having trouble with ur back. I suffer severely with my back as I have bulging disks & a badly damaged ones also.

Is ur back problem related to an injury or does it act up when working out???? U might consider if its workout related u may b doing them incorrectly & I mean no offence by that. It cld b simply u landing on ur feet to heavily or squatting too narrow. Just a few. But I wld seriously see a doctor 1st as they will carry out a few checks before recommending anything. 

I stopped going to physiotherapy a long time ago, I use an acupuncturist now as I get faster relief & it lasts longer. Therefore I don't need so much sessions. I hope u get this sorted as back issues r so constricting. Mind urself Niamh 👑👑👑❤️❤️❤️

• @Niamh Roche I unfortunately suffer with bad shoulder/back pain! I've seen an osteopath a couple of times and gotten great relief from it - my pain is prodominatly from bad posture (from my job) I'm doing yoga everyday and between that and osteo I'm getting good relief from the pain so would reccomend! Hope you get sorted it's such a nightmare! Have had to lie down in the back room at work on more than one occasion with the pain just to get relief but not lately thank God! 

• @Niamh Roche oh no queen, that is not good! Ate you stretching while back is arched, I found that was tough on my back when that happened!! Makesure you do alot of back stretches to help it out, lots of stretches and heat and cold patches should have you back to normal in no time xx

• @Katie Rynne thanks so much I think I will go back to beginners in regards to the abs workout and try build up strength again.. waiting on a call back from doctor xx

• @Sharon Scully I can do the jumping about and squats just fine just anything that engages my lower back is a killer. I am waiting on doctor to call me back so hopefully I'll get it sorted soon. I might try some heat patches in the mean time an try get Epsom salts x 

• @Audrey Browne thanks Audrey... to be honest I think the pain started mostly after 2 epidurals on my two kids which the last one was 3 years ago ... every since then I've had trouble with bending over for long periods of time an I can never fully finish an an session without using the easier option.

im definitely gonna pay more attention to my posture in certain exercises.

do you find the acupuncture effective !? Thanks again cxx

• @Leonie Mcnulty it's awful isn't it... it really is so debilitating. I find I have bend over to stretch my lower back multiple times a day.  My posture definitely isn't the best either but I find sitting up straight more uncomfortable if that makes sense 😂

I was wondering the difference between osteopath and chiropractor!? I think maybe I didn't go to a good enough chiro... when it's your back you get so paranoid that someone will make it worse 😆

hooe ur doing ok too x

• @Carmel Mulvany thanks Carmel I am gonna be more mindful when doing certain exercises to make sure I am doing them right... I probably could do more stretching so I'm gonna give that a go too 😍 I'll try everything at this stage 😂

• Hope the docs could provide you with some more help and insights Queen. I'm on beginners to build up strength after c section still, I know it can feel frustrating but it'll be worth it in the long run 😘 

• @Niamh Roche Queen that sounds like nerve damage to me. But I'm not a doctor. I've heard of lot of this happened with labour epidurals. Pls get it checked out. Just so u don't have to go through this pain for much longer. I love the acupuncture doll & it gets straight to cause of pain/discomfort. Honestly best thing I ever did for my back. 👑 👑 👑 ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 

• @Niamh Roche my relief is lying on the floor flat and then doing rock and rolls up until it eases 😂 u could find me doing it anywhere 😂 

I've never gone to the chiro but the osteo assessed my stance which was like a hunchback 😂 and then lied me down on the table and manipulated me until the air popped out of the joints. If youve ever heard someone say they cracked me back in to place that's what it's like 😂 mine does a deep tissue massage too to free my shoulders! I mean it's worth a visit and see if u get any relief it can be so hard to get through the day! And yes totally agree sitting up straighter is bloody sore!!! But try it for 2 weeks and it gets way easier!!! 🤗 it's like your training yourself out of a bad habit. Are u on your feet alot? I'm trying to pull my core and bum in as much as I can when I'm standing idle so I'm not standing like I'm pregnant with my belly sticking out if you know what I mean and I'm finding that gives good relief too! I hope this helps! 🤞

• @Audrey Browne awh thanks so much !! I'm defo putting it on my priority list now to try different things and see what works xxxx I really appreciate your replies x

• @Leonie Mcnulty I had a similar experience with the chiro, he used this hammer type thing on my joints and cracked my neck 😝 I only went twice but felt a bit sorer after so not sure if I was to wait or he just wasn't good 😌... I was a hairdresser before lockdown and now I'm running around after two a allied every day so I would be standing a lot.  Xx