z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Disheartened | MaeveMadden

Disheartened

• Hey Queens, 

So I've been queening since the summer and absolutely loving it. Every session is like going to a disco and I live for that!! I've also been doing 2 strength training sessions per week for the last three months.

I'm just really disappointed because I can see literally zero physical results. If anything, I actually think my belly is getting bigger.

I do *feel* stronger, which I love, but I just feel like my body doesn't reflect all the work I'm doing and it makes it difficult to keep it up sometimes 

Whenever I take progress pictures to see how I'm doing I end up feeling worse.

I know I should be satisfied with feeling stronger but I'm just not 😞

Rant over. Sorry for being a moany pants I just need to get that off my chest and I know this is a safe space ❤️ 

• @Sharon McNamara Oh isn't it so hard Sharon! I'm the same, I've been doing the workouts since April now I think, and really minimal physical difference. However for me I also know that I was using chocolate and wine and prosecco as a crutch to get me through the difficulties so I had to rationalise it out that if I cut back on those I potentially would see some bit more of a difference. My rationalistion was that hell no was I going to do that for the last challenge, but I showed up 100% for the workout side of it.  This time I'm going to be a bit more sensible (but I won't be cutting anything completely, might keep that for the next challenge haha).

If I can ask- as well as the photos have you taken measurements? If not then maybe you've lost bits and pieces here and there that you might not notice so much in a photo. 

With the photos, do you use something like PicCollage to look at them side by side? You would be surprised the subtle differences that might be more evident in a side by side, than when you flick through the photos on your phone. 

When it comes to the "feeling" stronger maybe a suggestion is to quantify it and write it down- like last week I did x burpees, this week I want to try do y, or I increased a weight, or I was able for all advanced moves etc etc. Just something so you can turn around and say I set that goal and I reached it, or maybe I didn't reach it but no harm I will aim for it again next week. These feats are massive, they are difficult to achieve, and you should take the time to feel bloody proud at your progress on them.

I've also found being a bit more active on the forum has helped me, being part of a community, being able to try give some guidance from my experience, getting advice from others etc. I love being a cheerleader for everyone on hear, and I get a sense of achievement from that which is actually better than a number on a scale. (now if I hit said number in the next year I might change my tune on that!!!) 

My other view point is that it's about the journey, not the destination. If my intention is just to hit a certain weight or look a certain way when I reach that it might feel like a bit of a hollow victory, but if I put my intention into the day by day- do the workouts I like best and put my all into them, have the chats with everyone, laugh and be inspired by Maeve- then maybe I might still achieve that certain look, but if not I will still have gained loads personally from the other intrinsic benefits! 

One last thing in terms of belly fat- it's not possible to target weight loss from a specific area, and for us women it's one of the toughest areas to lose weight from. If you listen to the following it might make a bit more sense of things:

https://www.independent.ie/podcasts/the-real-health-podcast/the-real-health-podcast-banish-the-belly-fat-with-brian-keane-39313192.html

Sorry I've rambled on a bit here now, and maybe none of it resonates or helps at all- but if nothing else just know there are others of us not seeing drastic amazing results, you are not alone. Be proud of yourself for reaching out here too. 

• @Sharon Scully thank so much for such a thoughtful reply!! Im definitely being V hard on myself today for some reason usually I have such a good attitude!! (maybe hormones!?) 

Really appreciate your points about getting more involved in the forum and taking actual measurements! I will be 100% taking them on board!!

And of course living in the now and enjoying the journey, thanks for reminding me!! Total Queen x

• @Sharon McNamara Hello queen 👑I was the exact same doing the exercise awhile now BUT last November I relooked at everything and for me the problem was my diet...my portion sizes were huge I was making all my food from scratch but I was having too much of it if that makes sense🙈...I was missing breakfast sometimes, sometimes wasn't sleeping and being stressed in work🥴.... All effect the weighlosss journey.. I actually did the happy pears "happy gut course" and for me this was life... I learned so much about gut health and the support they give is great. The happy pear are vegans now I am not a vegan but I did the course for 6 weeks vegan and I felt like a new woman...it was my turning point. I do suffer with IBS so for me I learned alot about foods...they do lots of courses I learned more in them 6 weeks than ever.. Also I increased the HITT classes to help shift my stubborn kangaroo pouch 🤣I'm still not where I want to be but queen's don't quit so consistent training and food plan is in place until I get there 👑Throughout the last few months I have learned exercise is only one factor of weighlosss... You should give yourself some credit your feeling stronger 🤲💪which is massive in time the rest will fall into place. it's great you posted here because hearing about peoples journeys is the only way we learn🤗👑😘keep up the great work you got this 👍❤️

• @Carol Tompkins thank you so much for this, I'm actually currently querying IBS with my Dr at the moment and have seen that happy pear course so I might check it out!

Thanks again for your reply ❤️

• @Sharon McNamara aww Sharon I completely understand how you're feeling! I find taking pictures actually makes myself feel worse because the difference is so minimal it's so frustrating!! It's sooo okay to moan but we are all going through soooo much at the moment and even if you manage to do the classes you are doing amazing and they are obviously working some bit if you are stronger!! I would definitely give yourself more credit you are doing fab and defo look fab even if you don't feel it. 💞💞

• @Sharon McNamara girl, you are gaining muscle and getting stronger every day! Maybe take a pic and I bet you would see a change!!!! I am the exact same,  I know I've lost weight since I started in match but still cant see it on me..... I really think is girls are our own worst critic!! It's usually our friends and family that point out we look well or we have lost weight! You just keep on going queen, changes are happening within the mind and body! Never rely on scales queen, its d mindset that matters d most xx

• @Ellen Whelan thanks so much, I definitely need to not be so hard on myself x

• @Sharon McNamara Heya Queen there is nothing more frustrating when u think or feel that ure not getting the results u want. Can I give u a few bits of advice. Firstly Don't sweat it as it will just bring u down. What I get from u when I read ur post is that u r committed & self motivated. These r amazing attributes to have.

Secondly go back to the drawing board & ask urself - what is it u r looking for example - General fitness- Weight loss - Muscle Gain- Scuplting - Strength. Now with lot of these ur diet will differ. So have a look also at what u r eating. Have u enough Protein, Carbs, Fibre etc.

Have a look at Maeves recent Blog where she breaks down her recommendations for your different goals. U cld b doing too much of 2 thing & not enough off another.

I wish u an amazing journey Sharon u have the tools & the know how I just need to put them in the right order doll. Chin up Queen u've got this💪💪💪👑👑👑❤️❤️❤️

• @Sharon McNamara also if you want a wee laugh- so I hadn't taken measurements, photos or weighed myself on day 1 of the challenge as it was my birthday on the 14th and no way was I restricting myself for that, so did all of that on Monday. I knew I had put on weight cos I enjoyed the bejebus out of Christmas (to make up for the missing out). I have a set of scales from my house in Dublin and I initially weighed myself on that and was like woooah that's way more weight than I had imagined but ok, wont focus or dwell on it, reweighed myself on it today but then also my parents scale and my scale had me 5 kilos heavier, 5!!!!!!! (Now if I had thought it was representative of actual weight gain I would have went with it, but would have meant I put on 18 pounds in a number of weeks, while working out!!!!!!) Glad I didnt spend the week beating myself up over a number caused by gravity!!! 

• @Carmel Mulvany thanks so much, so true!! 

• @Audrey Browne thanks so much I'll do that now!! You're so kindx

• @Sharon McNamara hope your feeling better today ❤️  we are always so hard on ourselves! Your showing up and your doing it and that's amazing! xx 

• @Sharon McNamara Hiiiii just checking in to say hello, and I hope you are feeling a bit less disheartened today! We have all got your back- you can do it! Hope you have a lovely Sunday evening. 

• Oh queens thank you all so much for your kind words and support. 

Looking forward to a new week, I'm really going to focus on my portion control and sweet tooth. And I'm definitely going to go easier on myself too.

XxxxxxX