z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Working/Studying At Home Advice | MaeveMadden

Working/Studying At Home Advice

• Hi everyone!

I just thought I'd make a little post with my top tips for working or studying at home. I thought if it helps even one person out then great! I'd gone from being on practical placements everyday to working at my desk for 12ish hours a day and found it a massive shock to the system. It's taken me a few weeks to get into the swing of things but I'm definitely getting there now. 

1.) Blue light glasses

Being on a computer all day was giving me headaches, strained eyes and making it really hard for me to get to sleep at night. I'd heard about these before so thought I'd give them a go- OMG they're a life saviour! My eyes don't feel as tired, I've had no more headaches and they're great for covering your face on zoom calls so I don't feel the need to put on make up (LOL!).

2.) Fluids 

I used to drink cola and energy drinks- A BIG NO NO FOR ME NOW! I'm drinking loads, which is also stopping me snacking, but I'm sticking to natural caffeine vitamin drinks, herbal teas and just plain water. I feel so much more energised and don't have the horrible bloating and come-down feeling I used to get. I try and not have any caffeine after lunch and that's been helping me relax a lot more at night too. 

3.) Breaks

Anyone else feel guilty for taking breaks? 100% me too! But, my mum got me a life coach (long story, don't ask haha!) and she pointed out to me that I wasn't being productive by just battering through for the whole day because I'd end up having my mind wandering or I'd have massive periods where I just couldn't think clearly. I've FINALLY come to realise (and accept) that taking breaks makes the time you actually spend working way more efficient. I try and do 1 hour on, 10-15 minutes off and in the time off I try and catch up on housework, do some self-development or just do anything that's completely different to what I've been working on. I'm making sure for lunch I take at least half an hour and don't eat whilst working. I'm using that time to catch up on Netflix and BritBox (anyone else amazed by BritBox? My Grandma would've been in her Midsomer Murders element had it been around a ten years ago!) and it's a great reset for the afternoon.

4.) Exercise

Again, I used to feel guilty taking the time out of my study days to exercise but now I'm scheduling it in because I feel so much more energised and refreshed afterwards. I try and start my day with a class and then either finish in the evening with one, or if I feel the brain fog setting in mid-afternoon I'll do one then to bust away the cobwebs. Mentally it's been great for me in so many ways, including feeling happier about looking in the mirror or fitting into going out clothes again (was there ever a time we didn't live in joggies?! Nah, can't rememeber it either...). It also helps that @Maeve Madden has made exercise so fun and addictive that I'd want to be exercising anyway! Thanks Queen!

5.) Save your poor neck

OMG I remember when I first started just sitting at my desk all day the pain I used to get in my neck and shoulders. It would actually make me feel physically sick and I'd get hot flushes with the soreness. Not good- especially when I can't get a sports massage to loosen off. So, I'm making sure I'm stretching every day (even just for 5 minutes) and mobilising my spine. I also looked up online the best height for your chair and desk etc. to try and make my set up more ergodynamic (hard with a cheap Ikea desk and chair but you can only try!) and I've been trying to correct myself when I feel like I'm slouching. I also got an amazing neck hot water bottle for Christmas which has been great to just pop on with my Deep Heat if I feel a twinge coming on (I used to have one of those heat in the microwave bean bag things but I somehow managed to set it on fire and I'm no longer trusted with the microwave- beware!).

6.) Sleepy routine

As I mentioned before, I was really stuggling to get to sleep. I'm talking feeling shattered at 10:30pm but lying in bed with my mind racing til 2am. I was knackered. My mum (the fountain of all wisdom now I'm not a grumpy teen who refuses to listen) said I needed to treat myself like a baby and get myself into a bedtime routine to teach my brain it's time to switch off. I was eating my dinner super late (using it like a treat for finishing my work- bad idea! I need to learn food is a fuel and not a treat for everything I do...) so I've moved it to earlier in the evening and using it as a study break. At 8:30pm, the laptop and textbooks go away, I run a bath (also helps with the neck/shoulder/back issue) and drink a herbal tea. I've finally managed to muster the self-control to put my phone away and I'm having no blue light from 8:30pm onwards. I'll then read a book, do yoga or meditate to help my brain wind down. At 10:30pm, I'll get into bed, and I'm a weirdo who can't fall asleep to silence so I put an audiobook on with a timer (other people I know swear by classical music, or white noise but whatever works for you! My boyfriend loves silence which is a major issue for when we move in together- I'll fight that battle when it comes...). I've also made myself a sleepy spray (I swear by aromatherapy) of lavender and rosemary oils and that also signals that it's time to sleep. I've really found having a routine has helped and I'm now usually asleep by 11. Getting up is another issue, but thanks to you lovely lot, I'm trying out lots of tips and techniques which will hopefully help over the coming weeks!

I hope that's been of use to some people (or even has just been a procrasta-read!). I'd love to hear your tips too!

Much love,

Erin x

• Thanks for sharing this Erin!!! Some great advice here 🙌🏻 

• Excellent tips here. Such a good read.

• @Erin Cooper Thanks so much for sharing! Definitely have been struggling with study at home so this is super helpful xx

• So glad it's been helpful! Always here for a procrastination chat too! x

• @Erin Cooper Woow this is so so helpful queen!!! Thanks a mill xxx