z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

WORKOUT REST DAYS?! | MaeveMadden

WORKOUT REST DAYS?!

• Hellooo Queens, 

I am loving all the queen workouts so much that I try not to take a break from them hahahah. I always was told if you workout "too much" it can be bad for you and counter productive. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on taking a rest day or if its okay to do multiple worksout a day and do them about 6 days a week?

Thanks for any advice queens!!! 

Kate 

• Yassss! @Katelyn Connolly I always have this same thought!

I want to do EVERYTHING but I also don't want to tire myself out so I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what our fellow Queens have to say. 

For what it is worth I have been doing something every day but only one of the classes whilst I find which ones i love the most (only on week2). It does mean i LOVE a Sunday Meditation by the time i get to the end of the week but i also add in a 15-20 min stretch on a Wednesday which is helping my soreness. 

Anything is better than nothing! :) i think if i feel i can do more, i will on some days but remember not to burn out and to take some time to stretch it out!

xxx

• @Katelyn Connolly am doing 6 days a week and 1 day off but  taking a long walk that day and do an hour yoga usually! 

For the first few weeks I did a class everyday and I was so frustrated at not seeing any progress, I took 1 day off and the next day I swear to God I could see such a change in myself and the next class I took I was able to progress to advanced moves!!! So now I take one day off a week! I set my alarm for a work out every morn but if I feel my body is tired or sorer than usual I'll take that day as rest! It's definitely super beneficial towards muscle recovery and fatigue, I think the classes are a little addictive 😂 I'm not saying one day off was magical now or anything  but I definitely seen benefits from it! 😌 

I haven't  been doing any more than 1 class a day to be honest I'm working mon-fri so I imagine if your doing multiple classes a day a rest would probably be a good idea, it definitely wouldn't hinder you 😌

• @Katelyn Connolly @Tori Clarke hey Queens, it is advised to take a rest day to let ur body recover from workouts done during the week but that doesn't necessarily mean u can't do any form of exercise like walking /yoga /cycling etc - this is called an active rest day. I wld workout 6 days a wk doing all the classes everyday plus a long walk each day. So my rest day is Sunday and I basically wld just go for my walk nothing else. Although I do like to do a good stretch & mobility session just to prepare me again for the coming week. But everyone is different u might feel tired mid week & it might be more beneficial to take a rest day then. Whatever suits u but I wld recommend a rest day for sure, u will feel then benefits from it. Keep smashing it Queens 👑 👑 👑 ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 

• @Katelyn Connolly I also feel the same! Like I want to be doing everything but it's not possible. At the minute I aim to workout once a day Monday-Friday and walk everyday, it all depends on your lifestyle and how you feel! Honestly five times a week is enough for me, but some do less and some do more! Whatever suits you queen xx 

• @Katelyn Connolly Someone previously mentioned it as FOMOW- fear of missing out on workouts!!!

Great advice from the ladies above, listening to your body is key and some weeks you may be less able for workouts than others which is natural. Personally

I take 2 active rest days a week- one on Thursday where I will go for a walk (fresh air is key!) and I've started doing Sinead's barre ballet class from the night before as it's a slow tempo class (although still feel it in the muscles!!) and on Sunday where again I will walk and then do yoga, which I am loving for the stretching but also the metal benefit.

I do a mix of the strength and cardio classes which I feel is a good for me (have you read Maeve's blog on selection of classes)- sometimes I find the strength class like Francesca's or sweaty 7s takes a bit less energy in terms of less bopping about, but then I do like the early bird cardio to not have to concentrate on reps or form and can then just do the bop about the room, so it's a balance in terms of the tiredness I experience in or after the classes (if that makes sense).

I've also started to temper my efforts at times too, like rather than going flat out each and every class and being exhausted I might choose one class where I lift a bit lighter than normal, or don't do as many advanced moves- for me currently that is Saturday's active abs and arms as I try to run a 5km with my sister (socially distanced but still can have the chats and spend time together!) too that day, and I hated missing the class as everyone would be raving about how good it was, so I know now if I gave it like 80% I still will feel the benefit, will have the craic on the chats but still have the energy to run after (bearing in mind we go at a pretty sloooow pace!!!)

Not sure if that is any help, or if I'm just nattering on about myself!!! Rest is so importanct for recovery, so try a few different approaches and see what physically and mentally feels best for you!!  

• @Sharon Scully  you make such a great point - not every work out needs to be a personal best or the full effort. Holding back should help the body recover when needed. Never really thought about it like that. 

I read a quote somewhere that resinated with me on this, i won't phrase it as eloquently but it was something like - Give 100% of what you have to give in that moment. So 100% one day, won't be the same as 100% the next. I think it's a great approach.

Thanks ladies 😍

• @Sharon Scully hehe that was me, I have terribke FOMOW!!! @Katelyn Connolly I completely agree that listening to your body is key, some days I am so energetic and feeling strong and on those days I choose the higher intensity Maeve workouts, other days (or sometimes weeks at a time, I struggle a lot during TOTM) I do much lower intensity workouts or just have a day off and go for a walk instead! Take it easy and look after yourself so you don't burnout xx

• @Tori Clarke Great saying Tori!!! It makes perfect sense to me now- if on the Saturday class I gave it absolutely everything i would have been wrecked during the class after the weeks' workouts and be berating myself for not being as good as normal, and my run wouldn't have been as good and I'd be judging myself for that; if I didn't do it at all I would feel I was missing out and maybe be giving out to myself for not having the energy to do it- but if I do it and really just enjoy it for what it is I get all the mental benefit and some of the physical benefit, more than if I had just stayed in bed! 

• @Shaunagh Smith Oh amazing, I was always wondering who to credit for it! Love it!!!

I shared an article before from Nike that helps with knowing the best type of workout for fitting in with TOTM & cycle, if you do a search by Nike if anyone was interested in reading it (or I can find it and share it if you can't find! ) 

• @Katelyn Connolly @Sharon Scully & every else... I definitely know that FOMOW feeling!! Over the last couple of months though I have really brought it down a notch and am starting to see and feel a big difference now.  I used to do a lot of 1hr workouts and not take many days off, now I do more of the shorter workouts, 4 or 5 a week, and a mixture of strength, HIIT, resistance and wind down.  I feel so much better for it.  And I take 2 or 3 days off a week.  I know it can feel like you are missing out or "being lazy" but that recovery is what your body needs to build up strength.

Initially, I think I felt a bit guilty about missing a few workouts, but now I think I have hit the right balance for me.  Everyone is different though, so just make sure you listen to your body and don't let the FOMOW get you down 😊

• @Leonie Mcnulty that's interesting about taking one day off and then you returned the next day more energetic. I have such serious FOMOW.